kirkot/kappelit/lasiovet_ja_aulaentree.jpgThe Chapel of the Resurrection in Turku

The road approaches up a slight incline. The shallow treads of wide stone steps lead one up the gradual ascent of this unhurried journey. Time itself seems to slow. At the top of the steps stands a white chapel, serenely present among the conifer trees as if it has been there forever. Unobtrusive yet confident and welcoming, it seems wholly at one with the natural environment.

The cemetery chapel in Turku, called the Chapel of the Resurrection, is one of the best known church buildings in Finland. It lies by the road Hautausmaantie (Begravningsplatsvägen). You can get there by taking a bus from the center of Turku (e.g. number 12 ”Varissuo”,  from the street Eerikinkatu near the market place). Map of Turku

Chapel of Comfort


While Europe was suffering World War II (1939–1945) a new funeral chapel, designed by the architect Erik Bryggman, was built in the cemetery. Building work, begun in the spring of 1939, was interrupted by the Winter War (between Finland and the Soviet Union). The fate of soldiers killed in action and the pain of their bereaved families influenced Bryggman and details of the chapel. He wanted the building to provide comfort for those broken by death and grief. The Chapel of the Resurrection was completed in the spring of 1941, on the eve of the Continuation War. It became an international attraction and is considered to be the most beautiful funeral chapel in all of the Nordic countries.

On Nature's Terms


The Chapel of the Resurrection fits brilliantly but gently into the surrounding landscape. When the chapel was built, the mature trees surrounding it were spared. Today, that is common practice in Finland, but at the time it was a rarely seen approach.

Visible through the chapel’s large windows, the natural beauty outside becomes an intrinsicelement within it. Just as humankind is a part of nature, so too does this building fit organically within its surroundings.

The chapel has excellent acoustics. The organ is a from 1958 by a Finnish organ builder and has two manuals and 30 stops.

For further information on visits to the Resurrection Chapel please contact Ari Kostiainen tel +358 40 341 7530 email or

Take a virtual tour in the Chapel

> > > Download here a chapel brochure (pdf)